I belong to the type of person who prefers reading books to watching movies. If I already read a book, let's say, I will never feel excited to watch the movie adapted from the book. For example: I do love reading Dewi Lestari's novel entitled Aroma Karsa. When someone excitedly told me that this novel would be made to be a film, I reluctantly said, "I am not interested."
Therefore when Emily Wilson strongly criticized Christopher Nolan's movie THE ODYSSEY, I understood if she had a lot of disappointment from the movie. She must have some (or 'many'?) expectations that the movie would include 'some' (or 'many'?) scenes that have been 'haunting' her mind for years! When the movie did not include what she expected to see, she wrote that negative review.
Many years ago, when the first time Harry Potter was adapted into movies, I remember many people also expressed their disappointment and said that the novel was much much more worth reading than the movie. However, one blogger wrote that he didn't enjoy reading the novels at all. "The story is just like 'that', so predictable. There is no new surprising theme inside." Instead, he even really enjoyed the movies. He was super amazed with the extraordinary visual effects.
![]() |
Nevertheless, I am of opinion that no matter what Emily has to feel grateful toward Chris Nolan because after Nolan's THE ODYSSEY movie became the box office, more people are hunting the book of THE ODYSSEY translated by Emily Wilson!
PT56 14.27 30 July 2026


No comments:
Post a Comment